The Promise of Hypnotherapy
While hypnotherapy has often been associated with stage shows, it is increasingly receiving greater scientific attention as a treatment modality for a variety of health related issues. In recent years, therapeutic hypnotism has shown promise as a way to manage conditions such as chronic pain, smoking addiction, insomnia, anxiety, depression and eating disorders. Today, some practitioners believe that it can also be an effective alternative or supplemental treatment to help manage ADHD symptoms.
In a 2017 study, researchers examined how hypnosis changed activation and increased connectivity between brain regions that support attention and emotional control. They discovered being in a hypnotized state engaged the same brain networks known to underlie cognitive regulation.
During a hypnotherapy session, people are guided through a process to induce a trance-like state that helps them focus their minds, respond more readily to suggestions, and become deeply relaxed. Hypnotherapy utilizes the heightened awareness of the hypnotic state to help you focus on a problem more deeply.
How Hypnotherapy Can Help with ADHD Symptoms
Experts suggest that hypnotherapy works for treating ADHD symptoms in several different ways:
- Provides a sense of control – Hypnotherapy helps those living with ADHD to experience a greater sense of control over their actions, thoughts, and choices.
- Increases self-esteem – As hypnotherapy provides a greater sense of control, self-esteem also increases. The two work together: the more control you sense you have over your ADHD symptoms, the more you can feel good about yourself. This provides a boost in self-esteem and self-worth.
- Creates a greater feelings of competence – Competence and a greater feeling of competence may lead to having a desire to try new things or increasing efforts at work. Why? The more competent someone feels managing their ADHD symptoms, the more likely they may also feel competent about other aspects of life.
- Reduces stress – Individuals with ADHD in the workforce may experience added stress from managing their ADHD symptoms and meeting the needs of their profession. Hypnotherapy may help reduce the level of such stress.
Hypnotherapy may also help you:
- Learn to focus
- Avoid distractions
- Improve study habits
- Increase motivation
- Eliminate procrastination
- Improve sleep
- Lower depression and anxiety
Outside of core ADHD symptoms, patients can also choose to focus on a particular area for treatment as part of the hypnotherapy, such as a fear of social situations, anger management or developing patience, or tolerating boredom both of which, if developed, reduce impulsiveness.
Additional Considerations for Hypnotherapy
Below are some additional things to take into account when considering hypnotherapy for yourself or a family member:
- Both children and adults with ADHD can be hypnotize.
- Hypnotherapy for ADHD is generally safe, and side effects are extremely rare.
- Hypnotherapy for ADHD can be a good option if you are among those in the 20% for whom medication does not work or has severe side effects.
- Hypnotherapy for ADHD can be successful in young children.
- You can see results from hypnotherapy for ADHD quickly making it a more cost effective treatment.
- Working with a hypnotherapist, you can also learn to use self-hypnosis. techniques.
While more scientific research is needed to validate its benefits, hypnotherapy offers a promising alternative or supplemental treatment for managing ADHD symptoms.