We would if it comes from Vik Nithy!
Vik Nithy of Australia isn’t your normal 20 year old. He’s not even your normal 20 year old who has ADHD. Vik has been identified as a “shooting star” by Desiceo, an organization supporting success of people of desi descent in part because he formed 3 companies before he turned 20.
Vik was invited to speak at a TedX Conference at Scots College in New Zealand about procrastination.
In the video at the end of this post, Vik explains some of the brain-based reasons we procrastinate and what you can do to overcome procrastination. We recommend you watch the video, but in case you are too busy, here are 7 ideas Vik recommends that help him reduce procrastination and be more productive.
- Split up the task – smaller tasks are easier to get started on
- Make it a habit to plan time you need to accomplish the tasks
- Plan resources (get everything ready before you start)
- Plan the process – visualizing the process makes it easier
- Plan for distractions – it’s up to you to make the commitment to be focused
- Plan for failure
- “Don’t wait; the time will never be right.” Napoleon Hill. You don’t need to wait for the perfect moment to get started, just do it.
If this busy college student who just happens to have ADHD can figure out a way to avoid getting sucked into Angry Birds and Facebook, you can too! And if you have a system to avoid procrastination that works for you, please let us know in the comments.
Why we procrastinate by Vik Nithy @ TEDxYouth@TheScotsCollege