Why Homework Can Be a Challenge for ADHD Kids
Getting homework assignments done can be a huge struggle for kids with ADHD. It is important as homework problems are often a reason kids with ADHD fail in school. As Lisa Aro discussed on Everyday Health:
“For an ADHD child, focusing takes a great deal more mental energy than it does for a child without it. By the time they sit down to do their homework, ADHD children are already mentally exhausted from having to work on focusing all day at school. Keeping them on track and focusing during homework can feel a lot like trying to sit on a stack of bowling balls — they are just about everywhere but where you need them to be.”
If you are a parent of a student with ADHD, chances are you have been on the front line of numerous homework battles. However, with some planning, you can help make homework less of a struggle for both you and your child.
Tips to Help Your Child Conquer the Homework Challenge
Below are some strategies, suggested by ADDitude magazine, which you can use to help your ADHD child be more successful with homework.
- Keep track of assignments – Many schools post homework assignments on their websites. You also suggest that your child write down all homework assignments and due dates to be sure none are overlooked.
- Establish the best time for homework – Sometimes, kids will want to do homework while they are still in a “school mode.” Others will need a break before diving into their homework assignment.
- Provide regular break times – While working on a homework assignment, your child may hit a homework “saturation” point. Be sure to schedule in regular breaks so that they don’t feel overwhelmed or bored.
- Work with teachers – This will help you understand homework assignments and ensure the homework load is not too high for your child.
- Have spare textbooks – Many ADHD kids tend to leave their books at school. Having spare textbooks at home can help ensure your child has the right resources on hand to complete their homework assignments.
Other helpful homework strategies can be found at Understood.org.
Technology can also play a role in helping your ADHD student improve their homework skills. Homework Coach identifies several popular homework apps for both iPhone and Android mobile devices that can help with things like memory, planning and time management.Traxion – Award Winning ADHD Mobile App
Using an ADHD coach in conjunction with these strategies can also be a highly effective way to hone the executive functioning skills and discipline needed to complete homework assignments successfully.